Frequently Asked Questions

Are any of your animals free of charge?
No. There is an adoption fee for each animal placed into a new home from our shelter.

Why do Animals adopted from my local shelter need to be spayed or neutered?
The State of Arizona requires that all shelters who do adoptions have a sterilization program in effect. The problem of stray and unwanted animals can only be reduced by eliminating unwanted litters of kittens and puppies.

If I leave a deposit, will you hold an animal for me?
We do not take deposits to hold animals.

Will you refund my money if an adoption is not working out for me?
We cannot refund your money if the adoption is not working out for you. However, if you return the animal you may receive a credit for a future adoption.

Why do I have to license my dog?
State Law requires all dogs over the age of three months to be vaccinated against rabies. The license requirement is to allow City and County agencies to ensure that the dog has current rabies vaccination. It also gives animal control agencies a way to identify the owner of an impounded animal so they can return the animal to the owner. Licensing your dog shows your neighbors that you care about your pet and about doing your part for the community.

Do cats need to have licenses?
If you are a resident of the unincorporated area of La Paz County, your cat does not need to be licensed. Some Cities or Towns do require cats to be licensed.

Is it legal for a dog owner to chain up his/her dog?
Yes, it is legal. It is not the best choice and the owner is responsible for making sure the dog is not chained in an area or in such a way that it can injure the dog. The dog must be able to reach food, water, and adequate shelter at all times.

If I have found a lost pet and the owner does not call, can I keep it?
In Arizona, A.R.S 11-1001(10) states that If you find an animal and you care for it for six consecutive days, you automatically become the owner of the animal. This means you will be legally required to license and vaccinate the animal as well as feed, water, provide medical care and shelter the animal. It is always wise for you to contact Animal Control to report finding an animal in case the original owner comes along to claim the animal. That way you have proof as to the length of the time it has been in your possession should the original owner come along at a later date and may want the animal back.

Can I give my dog or cat other vaccinations?
Yes, you can purchase various vaccinations (distemper, parvo, adenovirus) through pet supply companies or from local feed stores. Rabies vaccinations can only be administered by a licensed veterinarian in the State of Arizona.